KLM Bets on Long-Haul Leisure This Winter
- Air France is headed north with new service to Helsinki. The SkyTeam carrier will begin flights between Paris Charles de Gaulle and the Finnish capital on July 6, raising frequency to daily later that month. Air France will continue to codeshare with Finnair on the route.
- With growth top of mind at Allegiant Air, the carrier is adding a second airport in the Phoenix area. The discounter will land at Phoenix Sky Harbor, the city’s main airport and home to major American Airlines and Southwest Airlines bases, in October. Sky Harbor will complement Allegiant’s existing base at Phoenix Mesa airport. Initially, Allegiant will connect Sky Harbor to Provo, Utah, and Stockton, Calif. — two destinations it also serves from Mesa, Cirium schedules show.
Allegiant is also adding four other new routes: St. Petersburg-Clearwater to Northwest Arkansas from July — competing with startup Breeze Airways‘ new service from nearby Tampa; Phoenix Mesa to Pittsburgh from August; and St. Petersburg-Clearwater to Provo, and Fort Lauderdale to Northwest Arkansas from October.
- Greece continues to see a surge in new air service following its decision to reopen to vaccinated travelers. FlyDubai will connect the Greek isles of Mykonos and Santorini to its Dubai hub from June 18 through the end of September.
- KLM is betting leisure travelers will want to stretch their legs this winter. The carrier will add six long-haul destinations to its map from October 31: Barbados; Cancun; Mombasa, Kenya; Orlando; Phuket, Thailand; and Port of Spain. While the destinations are new to KLM, the carrier’s former subsidiary Martinair served Cancun, Mombasa and Orlando until 2011. In addition, the Amsterdam-Orlando route was served by KLM joint venture partner Delta Air Lines until March 2020.
- Travel within Australia continues to accelerate with Qantas planning seven new routes. The airline will connect Adelaide and Cairns, Hobart and Townsville; Melbourne and Sydney with Townsville; and Perth and Gold Coast with flights beginning in August and September. Service between Sydney and Uluru will launch in March 2022. Qantas plans to fly more than its pre-crisis domestic capacity in Australia in the coming months.
- Southwest is the latest to add flights in Burbank, weeks after start-up Avelo Airlines opened a base at the airport. Southwest will add Burbank-Reno on July 4, as well as resume suspended flights to Salt Lake City the same month, Cirium schedules show. Alaska Airlines and Frontier Airlines have also announced new Burbank flights in recent weeks.
- What better way to kick off two new destinations but with more new routes? That’s what Spirit Airlines did in Louisville and St. Louis when it added the cities to its map last week. The carrier will connect Louisville with Fort Myers and Tampa from November; and St. Louis with Fort Myers, Phoenix and Tampa from November, and with Cancun from December. All of the routes fit with a continued leisure travel recovery.
- Transavia is expanding to Split on the Aegean coast in southern Croatia. The Air France-KLM discounter will connect Amsterdam and Split from July 6, complementing existing service from Paris and Rotterdam.